Understanding Your Auto Insurance Coverage
We’re always looking for ways to make having a Safeco Auto Insurance policy simpler and better. And we start by helping you understand your coverage options and how they fit your needs.
Your policy is comprised of the options you select, so how much you’ll pay depends on:
- What you buy. Coverages are priced individually, so how much you’ll pay depends on how many coverages and at what limits you select. You can also consider an umbrella insurance policy that extends your coverage.
- How much each will cover. Deductibles lower the premium price by shifting part of the loss payment to you. For example, if you had a $500 deductible, you would need to pay the first $500 of the covered loss. Higher deductibles generally lower your premium, but increase the amount you must pay if a loss occurs.
Here’s what most people consider for coverage. (Note: coverage availability may vary by state.)
A basic auto insurance policy provides protection to you and others, including:
- Liability Coverage for damages incurred by others if you cause an accident.
- Permissive User Coverage for when you lend your vehicle to other individuals and they cause an accident.
- Around-the-Clock Claims Support for helping you through incidents ranging from minor fender benders to natural disasters.
Most people also choose some or all of these additional protections:
- Physical Damage Protection for repairing your car after an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection/Medical Coverage for assistance if you or your passengers are injured.
- Comprehensive Coverage pays for damage done to your car in some way other than a collision, such as if it were stolen or vandalized.
- Uninsured Motorist Protection for damages you are legally entitled to recover from a driver without liability insurance or a hit-and-run driver.
- Underinsured Motorist Protection for damages you are legally entitled to recover that exceed the at fault driver’s insurance limits.