Charles Longen, Sr. Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to give recognition and financial assistance to a student athlete who exemplifies a spirit of service to others and determination to succeed. It is given in memory of Charles Longen, Sr. (1910-1977). Born in Clifton Heights, PA and a long time resident of Collingdale, PA, Charles, Sr. was an avid baseball fan and played in the Delco League in the 1930s. His son Charlie Longen, Jr. is the founder and CEO of AIS Insurance Group, Inc., an independent insurance agency headquartered in Malvern, PA. Although Charlie lost his father unexpectedly one year after graduating from Monsignor Bonner High School, he credits his father’s devotion to family and support of his Catholic education to his success today.
A $1,000.00 scholarship toward a Roman Catholic High School tuition is awarded annually. The Charles Longen, Sr. Scholarship Committee chooses a recipient based on applicants.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Student has been accepted and is registered to attend or currently attends a Roman Catholic High School
- Academic Excellence – with at least a cumulative “B” average – or the numerical equivalent thereof – at the time of the scholarship award
- Financial Need – as determined by a completed FACTS application
- Student plays baseball and/or is a current member of the high school baseball team
- Student maintains an 85 discipline record
- Student exemplifies a spirit of service to others and determination to succeed
- Print and complete the application
- Obtain two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher and a coach
- Obtain a copy of your last report card.
- Complete Student Essay 500 words or less addressing the following:
- How this scholarship will benefit you and your family.
- How you serve your school and/or community and how you will serve others in the future.
- Discuss your efforts to achieve your goals now.
Forward the four (4) items listed above to:
Mr. Charles Longen
148 W State Street
Kennett Square, PA 19348
Scholarship applications will be accepted from April 1st to May 15th for consideration for the following school year.